A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Monday, January 30, 2012

Taza

I camped in another olive grove last night, just 30 meters from the train tracks. The engineer must be getting used to seeing my tent. When I packed up at 7:30 in the morning, a farmer was ploughing in the grove with his donkey, and the family was helping him. We wished each other peace as I hiked out of the grove.
After I'd got down the road  a bit, a man named Mohammed and his son, Idil, pulled over to help me out with a contribution and to wish me well, 'for peace and humanity'. Idil caught up with me again a few hours later in Taza, contributing even more. Thank you, friends.
Just before I reached Taza, a journalist pulled over to 'interview' me. He spoke French, and I answered anyway I could, in no language in particular. I don't know if I'll be on the local news (www.ajialpress.com) but it's nice to know a journalist was interested in the pilgrimage.
I'm now in Taza, splurging on a 9 euro hotel room with a shower and hot water, and I've just eaten a nice tajine. I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. nice to know everything's running, keep always in touch when it's possible. big hug/ helder

    ReplyDelete