A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Saturday, February 18, 2012

In Antas

After talking the ears off of my hosts Hugo and Kelly, then enjoying the hospitality of Indira, her friends and family from Mexico, and finally enjoying the company of fellow peacemaker Antonio, I set out from Almeria. Having passed kilometers of tomato greenhouses I camped in an arroyo and tossed and turned all night in the cold. The next day I chanced upon a village called Albaricoques, and learned from an English expat that some Clint Eastwood gunfight scenes were filmed there back in the sixties. I camped again that night, and returned to the coast at Carboneras. The road from Carboneras to Mojacar was an intolerable climb, but the view was grand. Still, I was nostalgic for the flat Florida coast of my boyhood. Having got over the point, I was back at the coast and I had a free room in an abandoned tower. Today I walked through Mojacar, a resort town, and I am now enjoying yet more couchsurfing hospitality at the hands of Diego Garcia and his family in the village of Antas, where Carnival is underway, and where I've already wolfed down paella and lingered in a hot shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment