A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

To Torrevieja, and Beyond

After a night with Maite and Ignacio, I spent another night in Cartagena at the apartment of Pako, from Mexico. I had a good trek the next day on something rare since Almeria, flat ground. I passed many farms and spoke to a few Moroccan workers along the way. In San Javier I parked for the night in front of a church, and while none of the church members seemed very interested in the walk, three Moroccan immigrants spoke to me about it, and one signed a petition.
The next morning I bought some fruit in an open market, and true to the generosity of the Moroccan people, a vendor from that country gave me twice as much fruit as I had purchased, 'for peace'. I kept the walk short that day, and stopped in a park by the marina in Dehesa de Campoamor to enjoy the sun and finish reading 'Moby Dick', a gift from couchsurfing host Hugo in Almeria. I'm not sure which character in the story I identify with more; Ishmael the outsider and observer, Ahab the monomaniac, or Starbuck the Quaker. Analyze that!
 I slept in the park, then moved on the next day to Torrevieja, where I've just had a great time enjoying the hospitality of Graham and Tana, two English expats who once lived on a cruising sailboat in Greece but now live in Spain. They are getting ready to go to Costa Rica and the Galapagos Islands. Graham and Tana are no mere tourists, but true travellers; adventurers who hiked for 22 days in the Himalayas, once more humbling me in regards to my own walking feat, which is a stroll in the park (literally at times) in comparison.
Today I'm on my way to Guardamar del Segura, then Elche and Alicante.

No comments:

Post a Comment