A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Down into the Susa Valley

I left the encampment of protesters against TAV early in the morning, and I was in Chiomonte before 6am



The first  of many  'No  TAV'  flags I would see that day, as I walked, alone again,  down from the Alps and into the Susa Valley.

Once again, new vistas

Susa

After painting over the French version, which I used in Morocco and in France, I was ready for Italy

Just beyond Susa, this fellow asked what my walk was all about. He said he had some connection with the local newspaper. By the time I arrived in Avigliani at day's end, I'd been interviewed twice at the side of the road. I made page 7 of the Avigliani newspaper, 'Lunanuova.' I'm famous!

Bussoleno, which seemed to me a bit like a  miniature Girona.


The Via Francigena, horizontal now

The friendly fruit vendors who gave me more fruit than I could carry when I was interviewed  near their fruit stand

After a 40k day, I arrived in Avigliana. My host, Luisa, who is a doctor for 'Doctors Without Borders', with her father and brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment