A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Higher Still

Embrun

I stayed in Embrun for three days, courtesy of a host named Nathalie whom I never met!






More roadside well-wishers



Guillestre

Snow-covered glaciers



The view from the balcony in Risoul

My hosts in Risoul, Chloe and Nicolas. Graduate students on holiday, they do rock climbing, swimming in icy Alpine rivers, and a little gardening. As I was walking north from Embrun, a friend of theirs stopped to ask if I needed anything. By the end of the day I too was swimming in an icy Alpine river. I draw the line at rock climbing.

The next morning I headed out with the friend of Chloe and Nicolas towards Briançon.

No comments:

Post a Comment