A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Friday, March 9, 2012

Alacant, or Alicante

Four friends I made while sitting around wondering what to do next. They all signed the petitions for peace.

My gracious host in Alicante, Elena.
After a day's walk I arrived in Alicante, and I sat near the cathedral for a while. Some Spanish tourists took an interest in
my placard, and after talking with them, they signed the petitions for peace. I later met with my next host, Elena, who lives close to the cathedral. Elena is an architect who has worked for the Red Cross in Cabo Verde and Indonesia (to rebuild after the tsunami). She is a compassionate person who thinks only of helping people out. In the two days I spent as her guest, I was also fortunate to meet her friends, Begoña and Juan. Begoña works for Medicos del Mundo, and spends a lot of time abroad. Juan is a Mathematics teacher and conceptual photographer. They are all keenly interested in peacemaking, and my time in Alicante was well spent in their company.

Elena, Juan, and Begoña, who has slept through coup d'etats in her work for Medicos del Mundo.

No comments:

Post a Comment