A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Monday, September 3, 2012

Arrivederci Italia!

I would like to thank all the people who encouraged me, gave me water, food, money, lodging, and companionship as I walked along the roads in the north of Italy. I never knew the names of most of these people who stopped along the road to learn about this walk of ours. I'd like to thank all of my hosts in Italy, of course, who had me gaining a kilo or two for the first time since I began this walk, and who often treated me like family. I'd like to thank everyone who shares this irrational hope for peace; for swords to be made into plows, for mountains to be lowered and valley's raised; I found this hope overflowing in most of the people I met in Italy.
You have filled me with even greater resolve to continue, and even more hope in reconciliation and peace. Grazie mil, Italia! Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment