A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it... We are too ready to retaliate, rather than forgive... And yet we could hurt no man that we believe loves us. Let us try then what love will do: for if men did once see we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but Love gains: and he that forgives first, wins the laurel.
William Penn

Be patterns, be examples in all countries, places, islands, nations wherever you come; that your carriage and life may preach among all sorts of people, and to them; then you will come to walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone...
George Fox

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Past Ljubljana, on the way to Zagreb

I'm behind, as usual, on my blog postings. This is because I haven't had much time on the internet, but it's also because I'm a bit slow on uploading photos; I'm a bit slow with computers in general. Somewhat incompetent, to be more accurate. But no matter! Once I've got an opportunity to sit at a computer for 5 or 6 hours, I will catch up!

Meanwhile, I am travelling with a Belgian woman named Inge for a while. She is cycling to China (!!!), but walking with me for a bit. Her blog can be found at bikenomadism.wordpress.com We've already crossed quite a bit of this beautiful wilderness called Slovenia, walking in the rain, through the mountains, working in the grape harvest, and visiting Ljubljana. We're heading in the direction of Zagreb now.

As always, the couchsurfing hosts are wonderful, treating us as family or as friends, and teaching us about Slovenian culture. This world really is one big community, as any true traveller can tell you. The news and the government will play up the differences, but in ten months on the road, I have seen only community.

My intention is to head towards the border of Croatia and Serbia, then down to the border of Bosnia and Serbia to visit some of the sites from the recent wars. I don't know yet what I'll do once I'm at these places, but I feel I should go to find out.

That's it. From the village of Gumnišče, 'se vidimo!'

No comments:

Post a Comment